Thursday, July 5, 2012
Mitts in July
This pattern came out of a magazine. The article gushed that they were simple to make, but I can tell you it has not been an easy road to completion. The first problem was the pattern, and the fact that there was a mistake in it. "Oops!" said the magazine's website. Yeah, oops is right.
Once I got the correct pattern, I discovered that I could only do the knitting in solitary confinement. There was a vast amount of counting, and following not only the pattern, but the pattern of the pattern.
Alone with my stitch counter and four double pointed needles, I had quite of bit of trouble transitioning from needle to needle without a bit of a gap or "ladder" forming. I went to a local knitting shop, where they were very helpful and sympathic, telling me I must keep the stitches tight when going from one needle to the next. Seems like the only thing that got tight were the muscles in my hands!
But now they are finished, and I think I am going to keep them. There are a few mistakes, I but I can overlook those.
Next on my radar is my Caribbean album. No pattern to follow, no stitches to drop. Sounds like heaven!
Until next time...