Sunday, July 15, 2012
As you can see from the pictures, the idea was to have 2 pages that open up "gate style", with photos and a post card on the front (top photo), with my journaling on the back (bottom photo). Once these pages open, a full page underneath would be visible. The full pages would alternate as right turning or left turning pages, so the bound spines would be equal in size.
I'm doing the pages first, and then binding them, as I think it will be easier to work on. I will have to be really, really careful when I bind, or I may have pages going the wrong way.
I'm trying to keep this album as flat as I can, I've had some trying times with past albums getting way to thick. So I'm back to cutting out the backs of the mats, and keeping embellishments as thin as possible.
The paper I'm using is Webster's Pages and Bo Bunny. There is a little Theresa Collins in there as well. And that butterfly is G45. I'm playing with large stamps and Perfect Pearls (the grass and crab in the top photo), and the odd Memory Box die cut is finding its way onto the pages.
On the UFO front, I have dragged out an old afghan I have been knitting for years. I have been procrastinating because once I started, I realized I didn't really like knitting the pattern ("moss stitch" sounded so innocent!), and I wasn't thrilled with the colour palette I had chosen. So I'm taking things into my own hands and switching it up. I'll keep you posted.
Until next time.....
Thursday, July 5, 2012
This pattern came out of a magazine. The article gushed that they were simple to make, but I can tell you it has not been an easy road to completion. The first problem was the pattern, and the fact that there was a mistake in it. "Oops!" said the magazine's website. Yeah, oops is right.
Once I got the correct pattern, I discovered that I could only do the knitting in solitary confinement. There was a vast amount of counting, and following not only the pattern, but the pattern of the pattern.
Alone with my stitch counter and four double pointed needles, I had quite of bit of trouble transitioning from needle to needle without a bit of a gap or "ladder" forming. I went to a local knitting shop, where they were very helpful and sympathic, telling me I must keep the stitches tight when going from one needle to the next. Seems like the only thing that got tight were the muscles in my hands!
But now they are finished, and I think I am going to keep them. There are a few mistakes, I but I can overlook those.
Next on my radar is my Caribbean album. No pattern to follow, no stitches to drop. Sounds like heaven!
Until next time...